Tuesday, November 13, 2012

AS: Response to 3 Assignments


I really liked the White reading by Joseph Grigley because it related something that seems simple in my mind and took it to a profound extent.  I liked that the responses were both figurative and literal to the topic given.  Not only this, it also changed my perceptions of a Wunderkammer and what one can hold and be.  It also gave hints as to how I can organize my Wunderkammer in my project.  I felt as though the Museum of Jurassic Technology recording was a bit fragmented.  I was almost more interested in hearing about the actual museum in its location and lack of clientele than I was about the actual objects in the museum.  However, I think that this is something important to consider when relating the idea of a museum to our class as well as Fred Wilson's art.  Both of these assignments reminded me that the museum is not just about the objects in it and the objects are not just about the museum.  The museum is an institution with some authority to control the barriers set by the objects as much as they can.  What I liked about Fred Wilson's work was how it deconstructed this system while still using the museum institution to promote his discounting of it.  The only problem I had with this work is that it is so personally relevant to him so it seems less about these factors.  Although, it may not be a bad thing that he is giving such integrity to the objects in choosing them so carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment