Monday, November 12, 2012

Response TB

Fred Wilson's work is interesting... I like how he has no hand in making his work... I feel like he is more of a designer than an artist in a way... His collections are very wonderkammer-esque. I also like how his work deals with the museum as an institution. I also enjoy how he makes very interesting connections between seemingly unfamiliar objects. The wonder becomes the own connections we make. David Wilson's Museum of Jurassic Technology is very interesting in the same light. The wonder of the truth of the information in a museum is a great tool to explore. It would be very fun to make a tour that gives all fake or non-researchable information in the field museum... Fun fact, I met Lawrence Weschler last Thursday in my Contemporary Cartography class, he was pretty amazing! Whites was interesting... a nice collection of language... very creative... I like that he had help from his friends!

Starting out i began looking at the field museums history. I think that it is very interesting how much money is a factor in the museums preservation. It is very important that they acquire the funds in order to keep the collection safe and growing. I wonder what would happen if they were not able to fund the museum any longer... June 2, 1894 was the first day the museum was open and it has been continuing ever since. May 2, 1921 was the opening day at the current Grant Park location

there is also this great timeline of all of the museums history.This led me to discover that Sue, the T-rex is the best preserved T-rex in any collection in the world. so that helped secure her as a part of my tour. I also realized that I want to talk about mummification for sure considering that the Tut exhibit brought in millions of visitors. This means that many people are interested in Egyptian preservation.


I also would like to spotlight Carl E. Akeley and talk about how his art is preservation. Specifically I want to focus on the elephants. 


Then I would like to discuss the different methods of preservation the Museum uses from Taxidermy to Alcohol 

No comments:

Post a Comment