Monday, November 5, 2012

Marianne Project Proposal

Unifying Biological Concept/Theme :  The biological concept around which I want to organize my wunderkammer is aquatic life.  I think there's an interesting selection of information about aquatic life in the museum.  I'm interested a lot in the old old fish from the devonian period, and some of the ones in "what is an animal"  and i'm interested in looking around the museum to see if there is info about aquatic life conservation in the conservation exhibit.  I think that the devonian era ancient fish are really interesting and a lot of people know very little about them but are usually interested when they are introduced to them.

Rationale for this Concept/Theme : I've always been very interested in ocean life,  which was my initial draw to the theme.  I'd also like to present it in a way that resembles a kind of,  Jacques Cousteau/Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou aesthetic, because those are two things that have really built up my own personal interest in life marine life.   I think that it would be a valuable supplement to a natural history museum because I think that natural history museums often have interesting information on marine life, that people often don't really look at because it's not necessarily what people think of when they think of a natural history museum.  I think that people often don't think about how varied and extensive marine life is,  and the history of marine life predating dinosaurs beyond thinking "life came out of the ocean".  There's often a much heavier focus on land - which is understandable, we live on land,  but there is a lot of interesting life going on underwater as well.

Media format of the project : I'd like to do an entirely online zine type thing.  Online makes easy distribution, and also would enable me to work more in color than i would were i do be doing something actually printed.  It also makes it easily available to a wide variety of people via internet.

Possible specific items or components to include : definitely the info on ancient fish from the evolution exhibit,  interesting things from the what is an animal exhibit, and i plan on doing a lot of looking around the museum on my own after class next class, because i haven't had the time to yet.  i'd like to find some information on human interaction with the aquatic realm if i can.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Marianne! I think your proposal is especially tricky but really great. Tricky because you need to, in my opinion, consider that the Shed Aquarium is right next door to the FM... you should try to make a case for how the field museum and the aquarium are different, and why people should be interested in non living collection at the museum... Also, I remember seeing some live fish in the Pacific Island area! They might be nice to highlight. I would also say that it would be nice if you included objects besides animal specimen that use fish or swimming as a theme... Also, I am not exactly fond of the whole internet zine... I think you should try to think of something that connects to aquatics a bit more creatively... Don't sweat it too much though, you're going to make a fantbulous project I am sure! :0) -Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I think this is a great idea. I agree with Tanner that the Shed Aquarium comment. Is there a way to narrow the kind of ancient fish? I'm sure there are so many maybe narrow it down to a particular region, or a couple from several regions? Maybe you could talk about how we learn about these ancient fish. Good luck! Cant wait to see it!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne, I really like this approach especially with the online zine. The Zissou/Wes Anderson model is really great to draw inspiration from because it creates a great theme and essence to your project giving them a sort of "underwater experience."

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hi Marianne,

    I think Tanner's comment about the Shedd is very useful. In some ways you might be able to pitch your project to museum-goers as a supplement to the aquarium experience - what you would provide would be the historical, cultural, and evolutionary aspects the Shedd does not provide.

    That said, 'aquatic life" as a theme seems somewhat broad - is there a way for you to make it more specific. Perhaps fish? Or is it that you want to include invertebrates too? Will this only be a marine focus (a la Cousteau) or are you also including freshwater environments?

    What about the unique biology of the aquatic environment will be introduce mseum-goers to that they might not learn otherwise? What research are you dong along these lines?

    If you do go the route of a "zine," I ask that it have a built in component of a guided tour map. Remember, it is supposed to be a useable guide for someone in the museum itself.

    Some initial thoughts,

    best,

    ay

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, I love Life Aquatic!

    I think that making a Zine would be successful especially using the Steve Zissuou Vehicle ( as i feel the museum lends itself to a camp aura at times!)

    I think to find a less broad theme inside of aquatic life will help you :]

    ReplyDelete