Monday, September 3, 2012

Observation 1 from Sarah Weber:

This Pokeweed Plant is in front of my apartment building. I've walked by it almost everyday for the past few months not knowing what it is, where it originates, if it's poisonous and most importantly: if I can use it in my fiber practice! In my research I learned that Pokeweed resides partly in the west, partly midwest and mostly in the east, has mildly poisonous parts, can be used to dye fibers with, has several different names, makes a beneficial medical qualities and was used by Native Americans in the southeast region of the U.S. Fun Fact #1: Supporters of President Polk wore this berry as an ornament thinking this berry was named after him. Fun Fact #2: Beware of the seeds. Fun Fact #3: Small flowers blooms in July and August. According to American Cancer Society, Pokeweed has an anti-tumor quality in the protein it produces. Although it has only been tested on rats right now this plant has the potential to aid in the cure of cancer. It also helps treat ailments and infections like ulcers, arthritis, mumps, reduce swelling, itching, and syphilis. Amazingly, it has also shown progress against HIV and the herpes virus because of that same protein (PAP)! Fun Fact #4: Cook leaves and stems for 20 minutes. Yum! Best time to eat this plant is in May. Also, if you want to eat this apparently you must strain the water twice so you won't die.
So yeah if anyone wants to dye stuff with me I now have a recipe! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment