Monday, October 8, 2012

guillermo project update

1) One of the more interesting facts I learned while doing research for my project was actually provided by one of the plaques for the animals. The Sichuan Takin's "long yellowish coat is believed to have inspired the mythological quest for the 'golden fleece."


I always find it interesting when discoveries in nature, such as the sighting of this creature, can influence popular culture of the time. Here's a look at the golden fleece.



Second thing I found interesting while doing my research was that the Lincoln Park Zoo used to have a scavenger hunt and they would even make their new volunteers play it to get acquainted with the zoo a little better. I asked at the information desk if they still had any. They said no, and that it was a long time ago and they doubted that it was ever preserved digitally. One quick google search led me to this; 

A "SpotDash app" scavenger hunt for Lincoln Park Zoo. They probably think they're really clever. I plan on doing this scavenger hunt as research and to prove that they're not so great and my idea is better.

2) So far in my project I've compiled most of my background research of all the different plaques of the animals on the outside path of the zoo (none inside of the buildings) and am choosing which animals to feature in the crossword to engage the visitors not just with the writing but with observing of specific animals. 

3) This next week I need to finalize which animals I am going to feature and start constructing the puzzle itself in a way that flows and directs the visitors of the zoo in a coherent way. 

4) Feedback on any of this would be useful, but especially once I have a puzzle ready, feedback will be very useful to see how effective/fun it is.


-guillermo






3 comments:

  1. I like that you researched more into finding the original scavenger hunt- it proves that it is obtainable even when the staff denied it to you!
    I also like the mention of the golden fleece- perhaps use these sorts of references in the scavenger hunt (such as mythical symbolism certain animals have, or animals that were thought to have certain powers). This addition of trivia may adhere more to the adult audience, and may be harder to solve.
    Will you distribute both scavenger hunts? LPZ and yours?
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you researched more into finding the original scavenger hunt- it proves that it is obtainable even when the staff denied it to you!
    I also like the mention of the golden fleece- perhaps use these sorts of references in the scavenger hunt (such as mythical symbolism certain animals have, or animals that were thought to have certain powers). This addition of trivia may adhere more to the adult audience, and may be harder to solve.
    Will you distribute both scavenger hunts? LPZ and yours?
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey GuiGui! Its Tan-man! Hope you are doing well and enjoying your night... anyway.... I like your project, but I think it needs something that makes it more engaging. Im not quite sure on where the scavenger hunt come into play, so you might want to clarify that, but Im assuming that you get clues that lead you to an animal, and the placards will give you the information or word to fill in the tiles... yes? If so this is cool, but I wonder if you can make it more rewarding in a way. I don't know, maybe crosswords aren't my jam, but perhaps there could be a reward for completing a crossword. Ie. if you fill out your crossword 100% you place it in a collection box. If your crossword is drawn from the raffle and filled out correctly, you win a $100 gift card for the Zoo store and Food or a private behind the scenes zookeeper tour... I just think an incentive could get people motivated and could possible bring more awareness or business to the zoo. If I just saw a pile of crosswords I would walk past them, but if i saw a collection box that informs me i can win something and learn at the same time, golly-gee I just might do it! G-slice, You are a swell individual with a great amount of poise. You are going to do smashingly on this project!
    keep on truckin',
    Tanner Bowman

    ReplyDelete