Tuesday, October 23, 2012

AS: Field Museum Observations

The reason why I chose the image of this dog is because he is a dog that helps find turtles for Herp day at the Field Museum.  It can be difficult for Biologists to find turtles in the wild, according to the Field Museum's explanation of this photograph.  This is Gary who is a trained "turtle dog."  He can find turtles like this one named George, I think:
What is so remarkable about these two guys to me is that they show me how interconnected we all are.  This dog would have probably never come in contact with a turtle of this sort without a context and the institution, being the Field Museum provides a context for this to happen.  This is an eastern musk turtle, which Gary was also trained to find. 
Anyway, I see that the Wunderkammer acted as an institution in a sense, and that institution is still being formed for new things to be discovered in new ways constantly.  These three creatures show me that.



No comments:

Post a Comment