Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Field Museum Observation #1 -sm









I am choosing to write about the three images of objects above that are in the largest of size: the fossil, the boots, the saddle. In a way to look at these objects in a conceptual way and the way of the wonder cabinet I chose to choose items at random with the first nine... and also at random again... for the narrowing down to three. Not as random as they seemed important, interesting, and unique. I bet this how others have chosen objects for their wonder cabinets before. I wonder how they got the field museum, who took them from the ground, from a barn, or from a wardrobe and assigned meaning to the objects in a historical sense. Did the one who collected them think that is aesthetically beautiful, I will keep it and take care of it, so that others can view it too? I am most curious with the objects process and journeys of centuries and centuries. I will admit, ashamed, that I have lived in Chicago for 5 years and have never been to the field museum. I am looking forward to my visit, but am also feeling skeptical with my intrigue... maybe I will be able to articulate what I mean by next observation/week? I hope that this observation qualifies as an observation of that I have not experienced and therefore, don't understand (I feel as if I can only understand something if I experience it).


No comments:

Post a Comment