Sunday, October 28, 2012

Project Ideas - IR


Ideas for WunderKammer
I have a few ideas for this project.

The Gay Animal Tour
A tour relating animals that have shown queer tendencies in nature! The tour would take your through different exhibits, pointing out certain specimens of species. Then it would supply information on whatever queer facts are available for this animal. I like this idea  a lot. The problem is, I have already done something very similar to this in a certain form. In a zine I did about strange animal sex facts, I included two pages about homosexuality in the animal kingdom. This project would be a much different form, but I worry it is similar to something I have already done.




The Impress the Ladies Tour
A tour showcasing male animals with elaborate displays to attract mates. The tour would go over the general concepts of sexual selection and use examples from the museum to showcase them. (rams horns, birds with fancy feathers, beetles with big horns, ect). Once again. I worry this is too similar to a past project of mine (Say Yes: a Guide to Sexual Selection).



I have some other project Ideas that don’t really fit the guidelines, and I was wondering (this is mostly to Andy) if there is anyway to make them fit the guidelines? Anyway, I would love to do a zine about how taxidermy works, since most people at the museum seem unaware of the projess. It would be something of a how-to-guide (in general terms) that also discusses the history of natural history and taxidermy. The only way I can think of making this a ‘WunderKammer: would be to include specimens in the FM that are interesting from a taxidermy standpoint (such as the Lions of Tsavo, who were rugs before they were mounts, and subsequently are much smaller then they were in real life.) Therefore, this might turn into something like The Bad Taxidermy Tour. Any thoughts?

 -IR

No comments:

Post a Comment