Monday, October 8, 2012

MRF Project update

-->
(1)    What are the TWO most interesting facts / bits of information you’ve come across so far in your research for the project (include an image for each one, please).
What I found most captivating thus far is the extent to how many endangered animals LPZ really does have. By exploring their website, I was able to find dozens, but winded down to focusing on just a few. I selected them by their status as being “critically endangered” rather than endangered.
Thus, this has been swaying my opinion (slightly) of what I feel about zoo institutions. Perhaps there is more good than evil.
Basing most of my research from their website, it took me by surprise how many of these endangered animals belonged in the mammal category, and how few birds there were that were critically endangered. For some reason, I assumed that there would be more of a balance, or perhaps even more birds that were near extinction than mammals.
The animals I choose to do research on are the African Wild Dog, the Guam Micronesian Kingfisher, the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake, and the Mexican Axolotl. I choose these to have one species represented for each family of species including a mammal, bird, reptile, and amphibian.
The other fact I found incredibly interesting are the noises that Wild African Dogs actually produce- it is bizarre and very high pitched! I also found it interesting that one of the reasons why their population is declining, besides deforestation, is because of diseases brought by contact with domestic dogs, such as rabies. 

 
-->
(2)    What have you accomplished/completed so far in the in the project (background research, source material acquisition, a first draft, etc?)
I have been working on the sound element, extracting ambient noises of the animals in the wild, combined with facts that I found online. To do this, I created an audacity file and overlapped the animal noise of each specific animal, and overlapped it with my own voice recording different facts of that specific species. Such information states what region they are located in, what they look like, and why they are endangered and the numbers that are left in the wild.

(3)    What are the components that you need to focus on and complete in the next week?

A.    The actual construction of the stuffed animals
B.    Putting the website together (I started a simple blog, to just put basic facts and images and the sound. I think I will name it “Not fossilized yet”.
(4)    What is a still unresolved part of your project that you would like feedback on?

A. QR codes!
I still am not clear about the logistics of making QR codes, so feel a bit lost about making them.
Rather than having the code printed onto the stuffed animal, I am thinking it will be better to attach a tag to each animals ear (like a TY beanie baby) that has the code in the inside of the card, along with the scientific name of the animal and the number left.
Also, the tag on the front can say “Critically endangered collection” or something to that extent.

B.    Display- I am tempted to just leave them in their respective area, right where the display is, on the ground, but don’t want visitors to be startled by them.

Thank you!-Michelle

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your idea from the start! I think it's a really informative and educational way to approach animal toys. I found that one point interesting about more mammals than birds are endangered. I think this could be a good point to research. People tend to be more drawn to mammals (furry, cute, etc.) and facts about that could put things in perspective for people.
    Also, for your placement of the toys, it would be more ideal to have them in one location, so that it could possibly encourage visitors to get those and then visit the actual animal. If time permits, a nice display for the toys would attract more people.
    Again, really cool idea.
    -Kaycee

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you search QR code on google, a couple of results come up to make them free. I didn't try any of them out, but this one, http://qrcode.kaywa.com/, seemed to be as easy as typing in the url.

    I think putting the QR code on a little tag like the beanie babies is perfect. If the stuffed animal is placed in front of their respective animals exhibit I feel it will strike the visitor's curiosity more than having all of them bunched together in some location where they might be overlooked.
    -guillermo

    ReplyDelete
  3. michelle i'm really excited about your project it sounds really lovely. i'm especially excited that one of the animals you chose to research was the axolotl. i love those little guys.
    i think the qr code on a tag like a beanie baby would be a really good idea.
    i also think it would be most interesting to have the toys by their respective animal, and i feel like as long as they don't look like, abandoned old stuffed animals visitors won't be put off by them or anything.
    -marianne

    ReplyDelete